Porte de Grandcour

Also known as the Porte du Camus, this gateway was built around 1338 within the walls that surrounded the Bâtiaz quarter, the latest extension to the medieval town. The entrance, which was restored in 1513, bears the coat of arms of the town’s new Fribourg masters, which was added in 1626, as well as the heraldic shield of Lawrence, the last Lord of Estavayer (bottom left). The centre of the gateway also has a carved rose, the town’s emblem.

lecture pause