The castle of Chenaux (from the Latin Castrum de canalibus) owes its name to the huge ditches that encircle it. On the orders of Peter of Estavayer and his brother William, construction work began in 1284. It was later bought by Humbert of Savoy (1432) who transformed the castle into an imposing fortress by adding a second set of fortifications and two brickwork towers. In a show of strength, Humbert added a large tower which faced the town, as well as a commanding defensive stronghold to the front of the ditch. However, this well-defended castle would remain unoccupied as Humbert died in 1443 before final work on the interior of the property could be finished.