There was a time when the waters of Lake Neuchâtel reached as far as the gateway of la Rochette. Mooring eyes can still be seen on the remains of the fortifications adjoining the entrance. Originally very narrow, the gateway was widened in 1767 to accommodate carts and chariots. Formerly known as “petite rive”, La Rochette was a popular neighbourhood among local fishermen and boatmen due to its proximity to the lake. Many of the houses still feature fish carvings above their front door.